Thursday 24 May 2007

The Paris Ex-pat Press


You've been framed
Originally uploaded by malias.

My current stint in Paris is not the first time I have lived abroad. At the beginning of the '90s I was in Madrid for a while. In those days, in order to keep up with current affairs either we read the local press in Spanish or, when we wanted some news from England, we would by a copy of the Guardian often a day or two old. On Saturday evenings me and my flatmate would huddle around his pocket sized radio and, if its carpricous reception fell in our favour, we'd listen to the football results on the BBC World Service.

Oh how things change! Not only do we have all the joys of the internet and cable television but Paris itself is replete with its own expat newspapers, websites and blogs.

This is a mixed blessing. Certainly my French isn't as good as it should be because I'm forever reading in English. On the other hand we have so much choice now (both good and bad).

Amongst the good: The excellent Paris Times has a print and an internet version. David Lebovitz's food blog is informative and very entertaining and Paris Daily Photo for its stunning photography of Paris.

There is so much more good stuff but I just don't have time to read them all.

No comments: