Tuesday 22 May 2007

I'm No Orson Welles


Malias and The Orange Drink
Originally uploaded by malias.

I remember back in 1985 a small headline in The Sun newspaper read Sherry Man Dies The so called Sherry Man in question was none other than Orson Welles who had been appearing on TV adverts for Domecq Sherry in the UK for several years until his death. Sad that one of the greatest directors of all time finally became best known for his cheesy commercials for fortified wine.

One rainy afternoon in Paris a few months ago I was looking for inspiration for a small promotional film for a paris website I'm involved in. Searching YouTube I typed in the name of Orson Welles I found this video with Orson Welles ruthlessly laying in to the British directors of a commercial for frozen peas that he was doing. It's simply hilarious but oh the poor old Sherry Man! You couldn't help thinking that his talent was being wasted.

Incidentally I finally used Bob Dylan's Subterranean Homesick Blues for the starting point of our promotional films. Which were filmed at Square du Temple outisde the Mairie of the 3éme arrondissement in Paris

LetThemTalk - Promo 1

LetThemTalk Promo video 2

LetThemTalk Promo video 3 outtake

Completely unoriginal, I know, but what do you expect? I'm no Orson Welles.

No comments: