Sunday 2 March 2008

Vegetarian Restaurants in Paris


Greens
Originally uploaded by malias.

Life for a vegatarian in Paris is no bowl of organic cherries and although I've noticed that French restaurants are gradually putting a few more vegetarian options on their menus it's still far more difficult to satiate that meat free hunger than it is in London.

If you eat fish then you'll get by, if you don't then there are always the salads and cheese. If you're vegan then I guess you'll be going on a diet.

There are a number of vegetarian restaurants in Paris, but I'm yet to come across a really good one (if you know of one then please, please let me know). The Grenier de Notre Dame (18 Rue de la Bûcherie, Paris 75005) is not going to win any Michelin stars but a has a few tasty options. La Victoire Supreme de Cour (29 rue du Bourg Tibourg 75004 Paris) has a great atmosphere though the food is a little bland. Try Tien Hiang (92 rue du Chemin vert 75011 ) for Chinese vegetarian food.

Sometimes even the concept of vegetarianism is beyond the realm of understanding for some people here. Recently I was in a Japanese restaurant and glancing through the menu I didn't see anything I could eat. I called over the waiter asked him what he suggested, he stared at me incomprehensibly for a few seconds and then said boeuf ça va? (Is beef ok?). No, ça va pas!

No comments: